Propane is a great source of energy for the fall and winter months in Austin, TX. This safe fuel serves approximately 60 million people in the United States in millions of homes, industry, farming and more. With lower temperatures, you’re more likely to turn up the heat in the house or take hot showers. If you live in Lakeway or Dripping Springs, TX, make sure to take these measures before the cool seasons roll in.
In Texas, your propane tank is unlikely to freeze. However, make sure to follow these safety tips during the colder months.
- Propane is compressed into a liquid for transport and storage, so in order to keep the tank pressure from becoming too low, make sure your propane tank is filled before the colder months.
- Use gas appliances according to their intended uses only.
- Do not have an open flame near a propane tank.
- Never cover a propane tank.
- Although it will be cold out, never use an outdoor appliance inside or in any enclosed area like a basement or garage.
- Consider installing a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home.
- Do not use a gas oven as a space heater.
Conserve energy and money on heating with the following suggestions.
- Air can leak out of windows. Maintain seals on windows, and replace any cracked glass.
- Repair any damaged weather stripping or caulking on your home.
- Wrap pipes to insulate against heat loss.
- Make sure the doors of your home have an effectively sealing doorsweep.
- Your ceiling should have six inches of thermal insulation as a minimum.
- Space heaters can rack up the bills, and are a dangerous fire hazard.
- Install an insulated blanket for your water heater.
- Only operate your washing machine and dishwasher with a full load, and use warm water instead of hot for clothes.
- Have your heating system inspected to ensure it is maintained to reduce chance of equipment failure and increase efficiency.
Take preventative measures to ensure a winter fueled by clean and efficient energy.
- You don’t want an emergency to occur in the middle of winter. Terry Garnett’s Propane team can help you take care of any potential problems before temps drop.
- Before the heating season arrives, have new heating appliances installed.
Don’t be left out in the cold without hot water! Make sure you have a propane water heater. Terry Garnett’s Propane services the Central Texas area including Austin, Lakeway and Dripping Springs, and offers propane home delivery.